Friday, October 13, 2006

Soup Weather

One of the things I love about fall, heading into winter, is that soup returns as a regular item on my menu. Sometimes it's something that simmers away in the crockpot, sometimes it simmers on the stove, and sometimes I throw it together out of what's on hand.

The weather has taken a decided turn to the cool here in central Ohio. Downright bitter when the wind blows, as it did yesterday, even when the sun is shining. I was in the mood for something that wasn't heavy on the tummy, but that would still be immensely satisfying. One of the definitions of soup, in my book. And it had to be quick, too, because I wasn't hitting my front door until about 6:40.

Upon arriving home, I put a pot on the stove to heat. Took some bacon out of the freezer and chopped off about 2 or 3 slices worth, crosswise. Tossed them into the pot with a little bit of olive oil to brown while I chopped an onion and some garlic. While the bacon, onions and garlic were softening, I sprinkled them with a smidge of salt, some black pepper and some crushed red pepper flakes. Threw in a bay leaf and a teaspoon or so of dried Italian seasoning. Opened a can of petite diced tomatoes and a couple cans of chicken broth and poured them into the pot. Tossed in a Parmesan rind. While that simmered, I drained and rinsed two cans of great northern beans. Discovered a bag of frozen chopped spinach in my freezer. Let the soup simmer away while I preheated the oven to do a little garlic bread out of the freezer and changed clothes. Tossed the beans and the spinach into the soup pot, then put the garlic bread in the oven. Put on the electric kettle for some tea. Had a very comforting, satisfying supper on my table by 7:30, and didn't feel like I rushed around to get it there. I've also got two or three days of leftover soup to warm my soul.

I love soup weather!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home